MANKATO, Minn. (AP) - The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating the death of a 26-year-old man who stopped breathing while in Mankato police custody.
According to the Mankato Department of Public Safety, it happened on New Year's Day just after 4:30 a.m. in a grocery store parking lot. Authorities say Andrew Derek Layton of North Mankato was found passed out in the store's entryway. Police say they woke Layton up, and he became combative.
An ambulance took Layton to the Blue Earth County Jail. Once at the jail, authorities found Layton was not breathing and had no pulse. Lifesaving measures were taken and Layton was taken to a hospital.
KEYC-TV reports Layton died last Saturday. The Ramsey County medical examiner's office will perform an autopsy. Results are pending.
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Young students urge high schoolers to be safe during prom
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- GOP gets in lockstep in looming budget fight with Dayton
- Appeal rejected in death of 2 motorcyclists