ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- - Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison is back in the United States after spending time in Somalia, a rare destination for a member of Congress.
Ellison was the first congressman in years to travel to Somalia. The United States government recently recognized the Somali government after some stability in a country that had experienced a long, bloody power struggle.
Ellison's Minneapolis district has a large concentration of residents of Somali decent.
A spokesman said Ellison returned on Friday. He planned to discuss his trip, which also included a stop in Kenya, during a conference call with reporters on Sunday.
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted