ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- - Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison is back in the United States after spending time in Somalia, a rare destination for a member of Congress.
Ellison was the first congressman in years to travel to Somalia. The United States government recently recognized the Somali government after some stability in a country that had experienced a long, bloody power struggle.
Ellison's Minneapolis district has a large concentration of residents of Somali decent.
A spokesman said Ellison returned on Friday. He planned to discuss his trip, which also included a stop in Kenya, during a conference call with reporters on Sunday.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Local students compete in dairy cook off
- Cub scouts donate bird nest boxes to La Crosse marsh
- La Crosse Police policies to be assessed in accreditation process
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns