HASTINGS, Minn. (AP) - A Missouri man has pleaded guilty in a crash in a Minnesota construction site that killed two electricians.
Dakota County Attorney James Backstrom says 23-year-old Kirk Edward Deamos of Raymore, Mo., pleaded guilty Wednesday to one count of careless driving, a misdemeanor.
The complaint says Deamos was driving on Interstate 35W through Burnsville on Oct. 13, 2011, when he struck 47-year-old Craig Carlson of Ramsey and 44-year-old Ronald Rajkowski of St. Joseph, killing them.
The judge sentenced Deamos to 30 days in jail, 200 hours of community service and a $100 fine.
The prosecutor says under current Minnesota law, felony charges were not possible in this case. That's because no drugs or alcohol were involved, gross negligence could not be proved and Deamos didn't flee the scene of the crash.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls