LA CRESCENT, Minn. - Local fire departments are taking a unique approach to raise awareness about fire dangers.
La Crescent, La Crosse, Onalaska, and the Town of Campbell are teaming up for the "Keep the Wreath Green" campaign.
For a third year, the departments have a wreath hanging outside filled with green lights. Every time there's a fire, they replace a light with a red one as a reminder to the public.17691132
They say it's a way to keep people safe at a time when fires are more common. "People seem to leave cooking unattended at times, not watering Christmas trees enough, having open flames in their house a little bit more during the holiday season, and it just seems that fires are a little more prevalent during the holiday season," said Tony Murilla with the La Crescent Fire Department.
Fire crews say it's important to make sure you have a working smoke detector in your home.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering