LA CRESCENT, Minn. - Local fire departments are taking a unique approach to raise awareness about fire dangers.
La Crescent, La Crosse, Onalaska, and the Town of Campbell are teaming up for the "Keep the Wreath Green" campaign.
For a third year, the departments have a wreath hanging outside filled with green lights. Every time there's a fire, they replace a light with a red one as a reminder to the public.17691132
They say it's a way to keep people safe at a time when fires are more common. "People seem to leave cooking unattended at times, not watering Christmas trees enough, having open flames in their house a little bit more during the holiday season, and it just seems that fires are a little more prevalent during the holiday season," said Tony Murilla with the La Crescent Fire Department.
Fire crews say it's important to make sure you have a working smoke detector in your home.
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local bar burglarized
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser
- Annual bridal expo prepares for wedding season
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area billion dollar company plans for joint venture