LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - Wreaths on some local fire departments are more than festive decorations.
La Crosse, Onalaska, La Crescent and the Town of Campbell Fire Departments are once again participating in "Keep the Wreath Green."
In December, the fire departments hang the wreaths full of green bulbs.
Every time there's a structure fire that one of those departments covers, a bulb is replaced with a red one. "Any little bit of prevention we can get in the community actually works, it really does," said La Crescent Fire Chief John Meyer.
The chief says there are usually seven or eight fires during the holiday season. He hopes this program helps bring it down to zero.23296186
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Pocan compliments Trump before skipping inauguration
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Bushes' spokesman: George H.W., Barbara 'both on the upswing'
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Competency hearing sought for Iowan accused of voting twice