LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - Wreaths on some local fire departments are more than festive decorations.
La Crosse, Onalaska, La Crescent and the Town of Campbell Fire Departments are once again participating in "Keep the Wreath Green."
In December, the fire departments hang the wreaths full of green bulbs.
Every time there's a structure fire that one of those departments covers, a bulb is replaced with a red one. "Any little bit of prevention we can get in the community actually works, it really does," said La Crescent Fire Chief John Meyer.
The chief says there are usually seven or eight fires during the holiday season. He hopes this program helps bring it down to zero.23296186
- Trump, Walker discuss Wisconsin dairy dispute
- Wisconsin at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- Wisconsin Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Student stabbed at Kenosha high school
- Bridge project in southeast Minnesota on schedule, budget
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Minnesota couple accused of sexually assaulting teenage girl
- Report: Saints, running back Peterson agree on contract
- Federal officials charge 15 with eagle trafficking