INTERNATIONAL FALLS, Minn. (AP) - The forecast calls for subzero temperatures -- a perfect time for International Falls to celebrate Icebox Days.
The self-proclaimed "Icebox of the Nation" kicks off its 33rd annual celebration of cold weather Wednesday.
Traditional events on the schedule include "smoosh races" featuring teams of four people attached to two 2-by-4 boards, and frozen turkey bowling.
Saturday is the annual Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run. The 5K and 10K races bring out the hardiest of runners.
The Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run has never been canceled. But it was shortened in 1981 when wind-chills dropped to 72 degrees below zero.
Icebox Days wrap up Sunday.
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 25, 2017
- Area church making capes for kids in pediatric ward
- VITA program helping people file their taxes
- La Crosse Children's Museum celebrates 18 years
- Lawmakers push bill to address dropped rural cellphone calls