ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Crews are beginning groundwork on the St. Croix Crossing project to connect Minnesota and Wisconsin.
The Minnesota Department of Transportation says crews this week will begin hauling materials adjacent to the Beach Road ramp off eastbound Highway 36 in Oak Park Heights.
Piles of dirt will be monitored during the winter to measure the weight-bearing ability of soils beneath the piles.
Crews also will build a parking lot this fall for use by the city of Oak Park Heights and a restaurant, to replace parking spaces lost to changes in the frontage road.
The St. Croix Crossing project will replace the 80-year-old Stillwater Lift Bridge with a four-lane bridge that will connect expressways on both sides of the St. Croix River.
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses during speech
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- WinCraft gets to work making Super Bowl merchandise
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser