LA CRESCENT, Minn. (WKBT) - Ground is broken on one of the biggest developments in La Crescent's history.
City officials and representatives from SpringBrook Assisted Living marked the start of construction on the new "SpringBrook Village" Wednesday.
The $8.5 million dollar project will bring about 60 new jobs to the city and provide 80 assisted living and senior housing units.
The idea for the development came from La Crescent resident Dale Olson, who saw a big need for an assisted living facility in his hometown.
"I realized just how many La Crescent folks have had to leave town when they had to leave home, and so it was time to build one over here," said Olson. "We've got a population that will certainly support this, so it's direly needed over here."
Construction on the complex should wrap up by next fall.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Wisconsin's youth prison hit with another lawsuit
- Wisconsin judge drops power line construction ban
- Walker signs bill allowing minors at music festivals
- Minnesota lawmaker aims to make it harder to avoid vaccines
- 2-year-old Milwaukee boy accidentally shoots self
- The Latest: Lawmakers work through the night on state budget
- Man pleads not guilty in deadly Iowa jail escape
- Man accused of killing parents, sister, pleads not guilty
- Senators want hearing aids available over the counter