LA CRESCENT, Minn. (WKBT) - Ground is broken on one of the biggest developments in La Crescent's history.
City officials and representatives from SpringBrook Assisted Living marked the start of construction on the new "SpringBrook Village" Wednesday.
The $8.5 million dollar project will bring about 60 new jobs to the city and provide 80 assisted living and senior housing units.
The idea for the development came from La Crescent resident Dale Olson, who saw a big need for an assisted living facility in his hometown.
"I realized just how many La Crescent folks have had to leave town when they had to leave home, and so it was time to build one over here," said Olson. "We've got a population that will certainly support this, so it's direly needed over here."
Construction on the complex should wrap up by next fall.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 25, 2017