LA CRESCENT, Minn. (WKBT) - Ground is broken on one of the biggest developments in La Crescent's history.
City officials and representatives from SpringBrook Assisted Living marked the start of construction on the new "SpringBrook Village" Wednesday.
The $8.5 million dollar project will bring about 60 new jobs to the city and provide 80 assisted living and senior housing units.
The idea for the development came from La Crescent resident Dale Olson, who saw a big need for an assisted living facility in his hometown.
"I realized just how many La Crescent folks have had to leave town when they had to leave home, and so it was time to build one over here," said Olson. "We've got a population that will certainly support this, so it's direly needed over here."
Construction on the complex should wrap up by next fall.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest