BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. (AP) - Brooklyn Center police say a man backing up his sport utility vehicle accidentally ran over and killed a 14-month-old girl.
Authorities say it happened around 3 p.m. Monday. Police Cmdr. Brian Peters says the man was barbecuing on the driveway and wanted more space around the SUV, so he backed it up.
KSTP-TV reports there were three children outside in the driveway, and the man saw two of the children move out of the way and thought the third child had moved as well.
Peters says the 14-month-old died at the scene. He says the victim, whose name was not released, was a relative of the driver.
The man is cooperating with police and underwent standard drug and alcohol testing.
- Attorney general announces deal on drug overdose treatment
- Viterbo students spend one night homeless
- Warm weather a worry for apple growers
- Organic conference returns to La Crosse
- WSU Baseball drafts 14-year-old for team
- City of La Crosse looks to crowdsource Buzz's Bikes fix
- City planners asking for more input on Highway 53 corridor plan
- Rochester might oust 200 students over vaccine requirements
- Trespass charges for man living in hospital closet
- Preschool teacher, 4-year-old recovering after ‘perfect kidney' transplant