BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. (AP) - Brooklyn Center police say a man backing up his sport utility vehicle accidentally ran over and killed a 14-month-old girl.
Authorities say it happened around 3 p.m. Monday. Police Cmdr. Brian Peters says the man was barbecuing on the driveway and wanted more space around the SUV, so he backed it up.
KSTP-TV reports there were three children outside in the driveway, and the man saw two of the children move out of the way and thought the third child had moved as well.
Peters says the 14-month-old died at the scene. He says the victim, whose name was not released, was a relative of the driver.
The man is cooperating with police and underwent standard drug and alcohol testing.
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Man convicted of killing Wisconsin woman buried in basement
- Jury convicts man in St. Paul workplace shooting of ex-wife
- Troopers focus on Interstate 90 in South Dakota, Minnesota
- Woman jumps on hood of car to stop thief
- Judge dismisses lawsuit from teacher body-slammed by student
- Dubuque high school teacher charged in marijuana case
- 18-year-old suspect in custody in Appleton bank robbery
- Minneapolis man arrested in Columbia Heights bank robbery