PELICAN RAPIDS, Minn. (AP) - A Fargo, N.D., man has died in a snowmobile accident near Pelican Rapids in western Minnesota.
The Otter Tail County sheriff's office says Jerome Kotalik was driving a snowmobile at about 2:45 p.m. Tuesday at a residence when he lost control and fell off, striking his head on a parked snowmobile trailer. Kotalik was not wearing a helmet and suffered a traumatic head injury.
Authorities say Kotalik was taking the snowmobile out for a short warm-up and likely intended to put on a helmet before going out for a longer ride with others. Helmets were sitting out at the scene.
The sheriff's office says it suspects a mechanical failure in the throttle caused the snowmobile to speed up and throw him.
Pelican Rapids is about 35 miles southeast of Fargo.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather