PELICAN RAPIDS, Minn. (AP) - A Fargo, N.D., man has died in a snowmobile accident near Pelican Rapids in western Minnesota.
The Otter Tail County sheriff's office says Jerome Kotalik was driving a snowmobile at about 2:45 p.m. Tuesday at a residence when he lost control and fell off, striking his head on a parked snowmobile trailer. Kotalik was not wearing a helmet and suffered a traumatic head injury.
Authorities say Kotalik was taking the snowmobile out for a short warm-up and likely intended to put on a helmet before going out for a longer ride with others. Helmets were sitting out at the scene.
The sheriff's office says it suspects a mechanical failure in the throttle caused the snowmobile to speed up and throw him.
Pelican Rapids is about 35 miles southeast of Fargo.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing