DULUTH, Minn. (AP) - Smokers have been banned from lighting up outside on the Lakewalk in Duluth.
The City Council passed a resolution Monday night which prohibits smoking on the 7-mile pathway bordering the downtown area along Lake Superior.
Councilor Jim Stauber says there have been problems with students smoking and littering the Lakewalk behind Duluth East High School. He says there have also been issues with patrons of the Last Place on Earth shop smoking synthetic marijuana or chemical crystals at a nearby park.
Councilor Sharla Gardner argued that banning smoking outside is taking it "a little bit too far." She noted there are already laws against underage smoking and littering.
The Duluth News Tribune says the council passed the resolution 6 to 3.
- Local event helps connect military families
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Area couples prepare for wedding season