DULUTH, Minn. (AP) - Smokers have been banned from lighting up outside on the Lakewalk in Duluth.
The City Council passed a resolution Monday night which prohibits smoking on the 7-mile pathway bordering the downtown area along Lake Superior.
Councilor Jim Stauber says there have been problems with students smoking and littering the Lakewalk behind Duluth East High School. He says there have also been issues with patrons of the Last Place on Earth shop smoking synthetic marijuana or chemical crystals at a nearby park.
Councilor Sharla Gardner argued that banning smoking outside is taking it "a little bit too far." She noted there are already laws against underage smoking and littering.
The Duluth News Tribune says the council passed the resolution 6 to 3.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviormental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game