SANDSTONE, Minn. (AP) - A day care provider has been charged in Pine County with neglecting a toddler who wandered onto a highway and was nearly struck.
A criminal complaint says 56-year-old Carrie Richardson was intoxicated while caring for 10 children at her Sandstone home. Twenty-one-month-old Kaylee Matson left an outside play area last Wednesday and walked down the center line of Highway 23. The complaint says vehicles swerved to avoid the child before she was scooped up by a 13-year-old boy who handed her to a woman who called authorities.
The complaint says Richardson told investigators she was drinking vodka "because she was having a bad day." The Star Tribune says Richardson is charged with child neglect and child endangerment.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.