SANDSTONE, Minn. (AP) - A day care provider has been charged in Pine County with neglecting a toddler who wandered onto a highway and was nearly struck.
A criminal complaint says 56-year-old Carrie Richardson was intoxicated while caring for 10 children at her Sandstone home. Twenty-one-month-old Kaylee Matson left an outside play area last Wednesday and walked down the center line of Highway 23. The complaint says vehicles swerved to avoid the child before she was scooped up by a 13-year-old boy who handed her to a woman who called authorities.
The complaint says Richardson told investigators she was drinking vodka "because she was having a bad day." The Star Tribune says Richardson is charged with child neglect and child endangerment.
- Taking one for the city: La Crosse boy cleans up skate park
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Onalaska High School students plan 5K for good cause
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building