WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - Rescue crews in Winona found the body of a man who tipped over his canoe while fishing.
Witnesses say Robert Lester Duncanson, 88, was fishing in his canoe by a downed tree. The canoe tipped over and the man was holding onto a tree branch, which snapped and the man went into the water.
Five boats and crews were out Saturday searching for Duncanson all afternoon. They dragged hooks along the bottom of the waterway, ultimately finding the man just before 3 p.m.
Winona County Sheriff Dave Brand said Duncanson was a good swimmer.
The Winona Dive Rescue Team, along with Winona Police and Fire Departments, the Winona County Sheriff's Department, and the Goodview Police and Fire Departments assisted in the search.
- Washout impacting Highway 82 bridge traffic
- Area veterans visit cemeteries, honor fallen heroes
- Riverside Memorial Day ceremony honors sea-based service members
- Service members honored at La Crosse's Memorial Day ceremony
- La Crosse celebrates Memorial Day with annual parade
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- Counselors on hand at Burlington High after 3 deaths
- Iowa preschool teacher donating kidney to student's father
- Firefighters unable to find man spotted in Des Moines River