WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - Rescue crews in Winona found the body of a man who tipped over his canoe while fishing.
Witnesses say Robert Lester Duncanson, 88, was fishing in his canoe by a downed tree. The canoe tipped over and the man was holding onto a tree branch, which snapped and the man went into the water.
Five boats and crews were out Saturday searching for Duncanson all afternoon. They dragged hooks along the bottom of the waterway, ultimately finding the man just before 3 p.m.
Winona County Sheriff Dave Brand said Duncanson was a good swimmer.
The Winona Dive Rescue Team, along with Winona Police and Fire Departments, the Winona County Sheriff's Department, and the Goodview Police and Fire Departments assisted in the search.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners
- Representative Kind outlines goals for congressional session
- Debate over medical marijuana continues in Wisconsin
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers