WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - Rescue crews in Winona found the body of a man who tipped over his canoe while fishing.
Witnesses say Robert Lester Duncanson, 88, was fishing in his canoe by a downed tree. The canoe tipped over and the man was holding onto a tree branch, which snapped and the man went into the water.
Five boats and crews were out Saturday searching for Duncanson all afternoon. They dragged hooks along the bottom of the waterway, ultimately finding the man just before 3 p.m.
Winona County Sheriff Dave Brand said Duncanson was a good swimmer.
The Winona Dive Rescue Team, along with Winona Police and Fire Departments, the Winona County Sheriff's Department, and the Goodview Police and Fire Departments assisted in the search.
- Statewide personal care worker shortage creates uncertain future
- Wisconsin state schools superintendent field to be narrowed
- Local golfers take advantage of recent warm weather
- UW-La Crosse officials discuss possibility of tobacco-free campus
- February Primaries bring voters out in La Crosse
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- State lawmakers fear backlash from giving themselves a raise
- Resolution would shift light rail funds to roads, bridges
- Bridge in Buffalo County collapses, causes car crash
- Prisons chief tells lawmaker youth facility is safe