STILLWATER, Minn. (AP) -- An Xcel Energy crew has capped a natural gas leak at Stillwater state prison that prompted an evacuation of several shops where prisoners were working.
Department of Corrections spokeswoman Sarah Russell says contractors severed the gas line about 8:30 Friday morning. She says the leak was inside the prison's secure perimeter, near several buildings that include shops for metal working and welding.
Russell says prisoners working in the shops were sent back to their cells but not locked down. She says the Xcel crew was able to quickly fix the leak and no injuries were reported.
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local bar burglarized
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser
- Annual bridal expo prepares for wedding season
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area billion dollar company plans for joint venture