AITKIN, Minn. (AP) -- A horse owner whose 900-pound mare was attacked by a mountain lion or cougar wants other animal owners in Aitkin County to be on the lookout for the big cats.
Lori Hart's quarter horse Molly was mauled last week on her property north of Aitkin. Hart says the wild animal took a "big chunk" out of the horse's hind quarters. Hart says a Pierz veterinarian confirmed Molly was attacked by a mountain lion or cougar and that there was a similar attack on a calf less than a month ago.
The Brainerd Dispatch reports Hart, who owns 15 horses, says the mare is doing well, but experiencing some swelling around the wound.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration