GRAND RAPIDS, Minn. (AP) - A corrections officer from Tower has been charged with seven felony counts for allegedly having sex with a female inmate.
Fifty-six-year-old James Allen Bongaarts is accused of multiple acts of sexual misconduct with a female inmate at the Minnesota Correctional Facility in Togo. The facility, also known as Thistledew, houses a boot camp for non-dangerous adult women offenders.
The complaint, filed Friday in Itasca County District Court, says the inmate told an investigator Thursday they had sex or attempted sex 10 times, most recently Wednesday. The complaint says Bongaarts admitted to having sex with her or attempting sex several times.
The Duluth News Tribune reports Bongaarts is in jail and makes his first court appearance Monday.
He did not immediately return a phone message left at the jail Sunday.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial