HOUSTON, Minn. (WKBT) - The Houston High School basketball teams raised more than $9,300 for a local fourth grade student battling cancer.
Alysta King was diagnosed with Burkitts Lymphoma in October and has been undergoing treatment at Gundersen Health System in La Crosse.
Basketball coaches, players, parents and community members helped with the mid-February fundraiser, which included a bake sale, halftime shootout, paper airplane toss, 50/50 raffle, game ball auction and a free-throw-a-thon.
Event organizers said the $9,317.03 will help off-set the cost of King's treatment. Her family hopes this is her last round of treatments so she'll be able to go home in late May or early June.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Wisconsin's youth prison hit with another lawsuit
- The Latest: Lawmakers work through the night on state budget
- Man pleads not guilty in deadly Iowa jail escape
- Man accused of killing parents, sister, pleads not guilty
- Senators want hearing aids available over the counter
- Iowa man found mentally fit to stand trial in double murder
- Iowa court offices to be closed Friday due to budget cuts
- "Share the Love" donation to Family & Children's Center
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers