HOUSTON, Minn. (WKBT) - The Houston High School basketball teams raised more than $9,300 for a local fourth grade student battling cancer.
Alysta King was diagnosed with Burkitts Lymphoma in October and has been undergoing treatment at Gundersen Health System in La Crosse.
Basketball coaches, players, parents and community members helped with the mid-February fundraiser, which included a bake sale, halftime shootout, paper airplane toss, 50/50 raffle, game ball auction and a free-throw-a-thon.
Event organizers said the $9,317.03 will help off-set the cost of King's treatment. Her family hopes this is her last round of treatments so she'll be able to go home in late May or early June.
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Turnout hits 8 percent in Wisconsin superintendent race
- Powerball jackpot tops $400 million for 1st time in months
- The guitar that will build a La Crosse home
- Former Packer talks leadership, teamwork at Boy Scouts fundraiser
- Interfaith panel promotes understanding
- 'Spudmobile' makes stop at La Crosse schools
- La Crescent leaders hear ideas for downtown development
- Businesses gather for discussion on possible new tax
- Students learn robotics at Trane in La Crosse