HOUSTON, Minn. (WKBT) - The Houston High School basketball teams raised more than $9,300 for a local fourth grade student battling cancer.
Alysta King was diagnosed with Burkitts Lymphoma in October and has been undergoing treatment at Gundersen Health System in La Crosse.
Basketball coaches, players, parents and community members helped with the mid-February fundraiser, which included a bake sale, halftime shootout, paper airplane toss, 50/50 raffle, game ball auction and a free-throw-a-thon.
Event organizers said the $9,317.03 will help off-set the cost of King's treatment. Her family hopes this is her last round of treatments so she'll be able to go home in late May or early June.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death