WEST DES MOINES, IA (AP) - Authorities say the Des Moines woman whose car plunged into a lake following a chase by police died of drowning.
Polk County officials say it will take a few weeks before toxicology tests can show whether there were drugs or alcohol involved in the death of 51-year-old Brenda Hatfield.
A West Des Moines officer said he noticed a car moving recklessly and tried to stop it early Wednesday morning. The car sped away and eventually went down a dead-end street. The officer later saw fresh tire tracks in the direction of Crystal Lake on the Des Moines Water Works property.
A dive team searched for the car and pulled it from the lake. Hatfield's body was inside.
- Holmen man sentenced for 2015 murder
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse
- Herberger's moving into former Macy's location in La Crosse