WEST DES MOINES, IA (AP) - Authorities say the Des Moines woman whose car plunged into a lake following a chase by police died of drowning.
Polk County officials say it will take a few weeks before toxicology tests can show whether there were drugs or alcohol involved in the death of 51-year-old Brenda Hatfield.
A West Des Moines officer said he noticed a car moving recklessly and tried to stop it early Wednesday morning. The car sped away and eventually went down a dead-end street. The officer later saw fresh tire tracks in the direction of Crystal Lake on the Des Moines Water Works property.
A dive team searched for the car and pulled it from the lake. Hatfield's body was inside.
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration