DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A Vietnam veteran has regained a special ring he lost at Lake Delhi 41 years ago.
Des Moines television station KCCI reports that John Jones served in what was South Vietnam during parts of 1968 and 1969. He then then had a gold ring made that included his initials and Social Security number, which also served as his Army serial number.
He lost it in 1971 while swimming at Lake Delhi.
When the lake's dam broke in 2010, collectors using metal detectors scoured the lake bottom. One of them, Steve Gola, from Grayslake, Ill., found Jones' ring.
It took a couple of years to locate Jones, but Gola finally was able to return the ring to him during a Veterans Day event at Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks