DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A World War II veteran has received his high school diploma, albeit 72 years late.
North High School in Des Moines gave U.S. Navy veteran Vernon Young an honorary diploma at a graduation ceremony Friday.
Television station KCCI-TV reports Young had the credits to graduate in the spring of 1942, but the attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941 changed the course of his life.
He enlisted for service just months before he was scheduled to graduate.
Young, dressed in a green cap and gown, says the diploma is "tying up one loose end that's been out there."
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands