DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A World War II veteran has received his high school diploma, albeit 72 years late.
North High School in Des Moines gave U.S. Navy veteran Vernon Young an honorary diploma at a graduation ceremony Friday.
Television station KCCI-TV reports Young had the credits to graduate in the spring of 1942, but the attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941 changed the course of his life.
He enlisted for service just months before he was scheduled to graduate.
Young, dressed in a green cap and gown, says the diploma is "tying up one loose end that's been out there."
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest