BATAVIA, Iowa (AP) - Two children have died in a collision at a train crossing in southeast Iowa.
Authorities say the accident occurred at tracks in Batavia a little after 4 p.m. Monday. An Iowa State Patrol report says a minivan driven by 25-year-old Tara Lewman, of Batavia, had stopped at the crossing. The report says that after some time, Lewman drove around the crossing arms. The train then struck the passenger side of her minivan.
Patrol Sgt. Russ Morey says another train stopped near the crossing that may have kept Lewman from seeing the oncoming train.
The patrol says 4-year-old Erika Clark and 5-year-old Kallie Clark were killed and that Lewman and 1-year-old Jordan Clark were flown to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- New faces breathe new life into debate on Sunday booze ban
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Rodgers appears on cover of Sports Illustrated
- Evers has $117,000 in bank for superintendent run