BATAVIA, Iowa (AP) - Two children have died in a collision at a train crossing in southeast Iowa.
Authorities say the accident occurred at tracks in Batavia a little after 4 p.m. Monday. An Iowa State Patrol report says a minivan driven by 25-year-old Tara Lewman, of Batavia, had stopped at the crossing. The report says that after some time, Lewman drove around the crossing arms. The train then struck the passenger side of her minivan.
Patrol Sgt. Russ Morey says another train stopped near the crossing that may have kept Lewman from seeing the oncoming train.
The patrol says 4-year-old Erika Clark and 5-year-old Kallie Clark were killed and that Lewman and 1-year-old Jordan Clark were flown to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse