CLARION, Iowa (AP) - Jury selection in the trial of a 14-year-old Osage boy accused of fatally shooting his mother is scheduled to begin this week.
The Mason City Globe Gazette reports jury selection is expected to begin Tuesday in Wright County District Court in Clarion.
The trial was moved to Wright County from Mitchell County. A judge granted a change of venue request late last year after the boy's attorneys cited negative pretrial publicity.
Authorities say the boy was 13 when he shot his mother with a rifle in March 2012 at the family's rural home. He has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and first-degree assault with the intent to commit sexual abuse.
The Associated Press generally doesn't name juveniles accused of crimes or their families.
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Suspect in Vernon Co. standoff in custody
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Giving Motherhood a microphone
- Vikings say goodbye to Adrian Peterson, will see him Week 1 vs Saints
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- La Crosse Recycling Fair begins this Sunday
- ‘Youth & Government Day' offers students insight into local government