ELDON, Iowa (AP) - A small city in southeast Iowa is slowly restoring its 120-year-old opera house.
The Ottumwa Courier reports a committee in Eldon has been working on the McHaffey Opera House for 18 years. That includes slowly installing new roofs, a furnace and air conditioning.
The committee has raised thousands of dollars over the years through a thrift store and some grants. They've used the building's main floor for an annual holiday event for several years.
The committee's next project is to either restore the walls flanking the stage or to paint over them. The group eventually wants to add a museum and bring back play performances.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse