DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Seven people have escaped from a house fire that was reported by a Des Moines police officer.
Des Moines television station KCCI says the officer was driving through the area around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday and noticed the flames.
Officials say four adults and three children inside the home fled to safety outside after they were alerted by smoke detectors.
Fire officials believe the blaze was caused by an electrical problem and started in the house attic.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump