DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- A newly retired Des Moines police officer will have extra spending money for retirement after winning a special $1 million lottery jackpot at the Iowa State Fair.
The Iowa Lottery announced Monday that Dean Stuhr was the winner of Sunday's "Mystery Millionaire" drawing at the fairgrounds in Des Moines.
Two others won $100,000 prizes and 12 claimed prizes of $25,000 or $50,000 during the event. Stuhr won the big prize.
The Lottery says Stuhr retired in April after 42 years on the Des Moines police force. He told the Lottery that his plans for the winnings were to "help out family, more than anything."
The Lottery's "Mystery Millionaire" campaign gave away $2 million in prize money, using Iowa's share of two multistate jackpots that went unclaimed.
- Trump, Walker discuss Wisconsin dairy dispute
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- Wisconsin at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- Wisconsin Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Student stabbed at Kenosha high school
- Bridge project in southeast Minnesota on schedule, budget
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Minnesota couple accused of sexually assaulting teenage girl
- Report: Saints, running back Peterson agree on contract