DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- A newly retired Des Moines police officer will have extra spending money for retirement after winning a special $1 million lottery jackpot at the Iowa State Fair.
The Iowa Lottery announced Monday that Dean Stuhr was the winner of Sunday's "Mystery Millionaire" drawing at the fairgrounds in Des Moines.
Two others won $100,000 prizes and 12 claimed prizes of $25,000 or $50,000 during the event. Stuhr won the big prize.
The Lottery says Stuhr retired in April after 42 years on the Des Moines police force. He told the Lottery that his plans for the winnings were to "help out family, more than anything."
The Lottery's "Mystery Millionaire" campaign gave away $2 million in prize money, using Iowa's share of two multistate jackpots that went unclaimed.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion