CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) - A prosecutor in eastern Iowa says a man stabbed his ex-girlfriend 16 times because he was jealous and using drugs.
The Gazette reports Assistant Linn County Attorney Nic Scott made the comments Wednesday during opening statements in Shaheed Pendleton's trial.
Scott says Pendleton stabbed his ex-girlfriend in October after a day of arguing that involved the couple drinking and using drugs. Scott says Pendleton attacked the woman after she went out on a porch and talked to two men who came by. She survived the stabbing.
Pendleton is charged with attempted murder, willful injury causing serious injury and assault to inflict serious injury. His trial is expected to continue through Friday.
The newspaper reports Pendleton's attorney says his client is a victim and he didn't commit the stabbing.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners