WEST DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say a woman suspected of drunken driving drove her car off an interstate overpass in West Des Moines before rolling down an embankment.
The West Des Moines Police Department says 29-year-old Cassandra Ann Beverly, of Waukee, was found inside her car around 2 a.m. Thursday under the Interstate Highway 235 bridge.
The Des Moines Register reports Beverly had to be extricated from the car, which was found with its underside resting against a concrete barrier.
Police say Beverly, who suffered a fractured neck and collapsed lung, had bloodshot eyes and smelled of alcohol. A preliminary breath test showed a blood alcohol level of .129.
They newspaper reports that police plan to issue citations for OWI and failing to maintain control.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death