OTTUMWA, Iowa (AP) - Police say they have arrested a Des Moines man in connection with the 1974 killing of a 17-year-old girl in rural Wapello County.
The Department of Criminal Investigation announced Tuesday night that officers arrested 66-year-old Robert Eugene Pilcher in connection with the killing of Mary Jayne Jones of Ottumwa.
Wapello County sheriff's deputies and DCI agents arrested Pilcher at a Des Moines motel.
Jones' body was discovered April 9, 1974, in a farmhouse. She had been shot to death and sexually assaulted.
The case wasn't solved but thanks to funding by a federal grant from 2009 to 2011, the DCI took another look and linked Pilcher to the case through DNA evidence.
Pilcher was held in the Wapello County Jail on $1 million bond.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks