OTTUMWA, Iowa (AP) - Police say they have arrested a Des Moines man in connection with the 1974 killing of a 17-year-old girl in rural Wapello County.
The Department of Criminal Investigation announced Tuesday night that officers arrested 66-year-old Robert Eugene Pilcher in connection with the killing of Mary Jayne Jones of Ottumwa.
Wapello County sheriff's deputies and DCI agents arrested Pilcher at a Des Moines motel.
Jones' body was discovered April 9, 1974, in a farmhouse. She had been shot to death and sexually assaulted.
The case wasn't solved but thanks to funding by a federal grant from 2009 to 2011, the DCI took another look and linked Pilcher to the case through DNA evidence.
Pilcher was held in the Wapello County Jail on $1 million bond.
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Pocan compliments Trump before skipping inauguration
- Nebraska, Iowa Guard troops assigned inauguration duties
- E. Iowa man charged in death of woman killed by cannon
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge