DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - President Barack Obama has declared a major disaster exists in 10 eastern Iowa counties hit by storms and flooding in June.
The White House says in a news release that Obama signed the declaration Wednesday evening for Allamakee, Benton, Buchanan, Butler, Cedar, Clayton, Delaware, Howard, Jones and Winneshiek counties for damage they received due to storms and flooding from June 21 to 28.
The declaration makes federal funding available to state and local governments as well as some nonprofit groups for emergency work and the repair or replacement of damaged facilities.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency says more declarations could be made later if requested by the state.
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Suspect in Vernon Co. standoff in custody
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Giving Motherhood a microphone
- Vikings say goodbye to Adrian Peterson, will see him Week 1 vs Saints
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- La Crosse Recycling Fair begins this Sunday
- ‘Youth & Government Day' offers students insight into local government