MASON CITY, Iowa (AP) - A Mason City, Iowa couple lost about $5,000 to someone who called them on Friday, claiming to be their grandson who was jailed in Mexico.
Bob and Darlene Inman said their grandson Gabe traveled a lot and had recently won a trip through work, so the long-distance call and situation was plausible.
The couple wired money for bail and a lawyer to Cancun, Mexico. They tried to reach an official in Mexico on Saturday, but couldn't. They called Gabe's home and he was there, safe.
Bob Inman reported the scam to Mason City police and learned there was little chance of recovering the money. Inman hopes other people learn from the mistake he and his wife made.
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Holmen continues expansion with office building groundbreaking
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity
- ‘Nursing Research on the Green' presents advances in nursing at Viterbo
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure