MASON CITY, Iowa (AP) - A Mason City, Iowa couple lost about $5,000 to someone who called them on Friday, claiming to be their grandson who was jailed in Mexico.
Bob and Darlene Inman said their grandson Gabe traveled a lot and had recently won a trip through work, so the long-distance call and situation was plausible.
The couple wired money for bail and a lawyer to Cancun, Mexico. They tried to reach an official in Mexico on Saturday, but couldn't. They called Gabe's home and he was there, safe.
Bob Inman reported the scam to Mason City police and learned there was little chance of recovering the money. Inman hopes other people learn from the mistake he and his wife made.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.