COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) -- An 11-year-old Nebraska boy has died after being pulled unconscious from the swimming area of a western Iowa lake.
Authorities say the boy had been under water for several minutes at Lake Manawa in Council Bluffs on Wednesday. The incident was reported around 2:20 p.m.
The boy was identified as Isaiah Griffin, who lived at an Omaha homeless shelter with his mother. She didn't go on the shelter-sponsored field trip to the lake.
Officials say the boy was pronounced dead at Mercy Hospital in Council Bluffs.
Council Bluffs Police Sgt. Dave Dawson says the boy's death appears to be accidental, but it is being investigated.
Police Lt. Mark Galvan says lifeguards were on duty.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse