COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) -- An 11-year-old Nebraska boy has died after being pulled unconscious from the swimming area of a western Iowa lake.
Authorities say the boy had been under water for several minutes at Lake Manawa in Council Bluffs on Wednesday. The incident was reported around 2:20 p.m.
The boy was identified as Isaiah Griffin, who lived at an Omaha homeless shelter with his mother. She didn't go on the shelter-sponsored field trip to the lake.
Officials say the boy was pronounced dead at Mercy Hospital in Council Bluffs.
Council Bluffs Police Sgt. Dave Dawson says the boy's death appears to be accidental, but it is being investigated.
Police Lt. Mark Galvan says lifeguards were on duty.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death