AMES, IA (AP) - Authorities say a skull found on a Skunk River sandbar in Ames was that of a woman of American Indian ancestry who died more than 200 years ago.
Experts say the woman likely was 25 to 40 years old when she died. The experts have not determined the cause of her death.
Ames police say a person walking along the river found the skull on July 2. Officials said heavy rains may have washed the skull down the river.
The skull and another bone fragment will be turned over to the Office of the State Archaeologist.
- Holmen man sentenced for 2015 murder
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse
- Herberger's moving into former Macy's location in La Crosse