CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) -- Cedar Rapids police say a man they arrested on a public intoxication charge remains hospitalized after apparently hitting his head on an armrest while in the back seat of a police car on his way to jail.
The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation is looking into the arrest of 33-year-old Paul Saldivar.
He was arrested Thursday night after patrons of a bar complained he had caused problems. When officers approached him he ran. He was later found, handcuffed and placed in the back of the police car.
Officers say he was combative, kicking, moving round, and hit his head on the arm rest.
He was unresponsive when the car arrived at the Linn County Jail. CPR was started and he was taken to Mercy Hospital by ambulance.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death