DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- Bettendorf lawyer John Archer has won the Republican nomination in the 2nd Congressional District, beating Muscatine home builder Dan Dolan.
Archer now will face three-term Democratic Rep. Dave Loebsack in the November general election.
Archer and Dolan have similar positions on most issues, as both emphasized the need to cut government spending and reduce the deficit, streamline government regulations and reduce taxes.
However, the two have different backgrounds.
Archer is a lawyer who served as senior counsel at agricultural equipment manufacturer Deere & Co. He also is part of a company that manufactures industrial chimneys.
Dolan didn't graduate from college and has emphasized his blue-collar background. He owns a home-building business.
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Reynolds supports program cuts to defund Planned Parenthood
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts