DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- Bettendorf lawyer John Archer has won the Republican nomination in the 2nd Congressional District, beating Muscatine home builder Dan Dolan.
Archer now will face three-term Democratic Rep. Dave Loebsack in the November general election.
Archer and Dolan have similar positions on most issues, as both emphasized the need to cut government spending and reduce the deficit, streamline government regulations and reduce taxes.
However, the two have different backgrounds.
Archer is a lawyer who served as senior counsel at agricultural equipment manufacturer Deere & Co. He also is part of a company that manufactures industrial chimneys.
Dolan didn't graduate from college and has emphasized his blue-collar background. He owns a home-building business.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Minnesota city to unleash goats on invasive plants