DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A Republican lawmaker is proposing a ban on abortion in Iowa, though he acknowledges his effort likely won't succeed this session.
Rep. Dwayne Alons, of Hull, introduced a resolution Wednesday seeking to amend the Iowa Constitution to define life as beginning at conception, making abortion illegal at any stage. The proposal was supported by five other Republican legislators.
To change the state constitution, the measure would need to be passed by lawmakers, then approved by the Legislature elected in 2014 before a public vote.
Hull acknowledged the Senate likely wouldn't take up his proposal but says the measure could have more support next year.
He also says the plan likely violates the U.S. Constitution, but he's hopeful the Supreme Court will overrule current law that guarantees abortion rights.
- Area veterans visit cemeteries, honor fallen heroes
- Riverside Memorial Day ceremony honors sea-based service members
- Service members honored at La Crosse's Memorial Day ceremony
- La Crosse celebrates Memorial Day with annual parade
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- C-FC senior has second chance at state gold
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable