DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A Republican lawmaker is proposing a ban on abortion in Iowa, though he acknowledges his effort likely won't succeed this session.
Rep. Dwayne Alons, of Hull, introduced a resolution Wednesday seeking to amend the Iowa Constitution to define life as beginning at conception, making abortion illegal at any stage. The proposal was supported by five other Republican legislators.
To change the state constitution, the measure would need to be passed by lawmakers, then approved by the Legislature elected in 2014 before a public vote.
Hull acknowledged the Senate likely wouldn't take up his proposal but says the measure could have more support next year.
He also says the plan likely violates the U.S. Constitution, but he's hopeful the Supreme Court will overrule current law that guarantees abortion rights.
- Family to announce settlement in police shooting case
- Preschool teacher, 4-year-old recovering after ‘perfect kidney' transplant
- Winning numbers drawn in 'Powerball' game
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Minnesota House set for floor vote on Real ID
- Iowa mayor wraps up address with bluesy salute to his city
- Dayton blasts Trump's transgender bathroom reversal
- Ohio, Wisconsin kick start interstate talks on Trump effect
- Discrimination lawsuit against Rochester schools dismissed
- Fresh snow possible for American Birkebeiner