KALONA, Iowa (AP) -- The Kalona City Council hopes to raise money for sidewalks by auctioning off naming rights to a local creek.
The Iowa City Press-Citizen reports that council members say they are open to just about any name for the creek, known simply as the West Drainage Ditch. The council says the name must be appropriate and that the name will be subject to government approval.
The naming rights will be posted on eBay. Funds from the bids will go toward replacing sidewalks as part of the city's Safe Route to Schools project, which is administered by the Iowa Department of Transportation.
City Administrator Ryan Schlabaugh says local officials hope the online auction will help the city reach its goal of doing $200,000 in improvements to area sidewalks.
- Dayton plots big budget with public health insurance option
- A woman was arrested in Black Hills after abducting her kids
- Wisconsin manufacturing tax credit continues to grow
- Walker to deliver budget address on Feb. 8
- Community Closings & Delays due to approaching storm
- End of TPP leaves farmers and business leaders concerned
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Education tax credit causes stir at Minnesota Legislature
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked