KALONA, Iowa (AP) -- The Kalona City Council hopes to raise money for sidewalks by auctioning off naming rights to a local creek.
The Iowa City Press-Citizen reports that council members say they are open to just about any name for the creek, known simply as the West Drainage Ditch. The council says the name must be appropriate and that the name will be subject to government approval.
The naming rights will be posted on eBay. Funds from the bids will go toward replacing sidewalks as part of the city's Safe Route to Schools project, which is administered by the Iowa Department of Transportation.
City Administrator Ryan Schlabaugh says local officials hope the online auction will help the city reach its goal of doing $200,000 in improvements to area sidewalks.
- Wisconsin man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- GOP bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Wisconsin DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day
- Wisconsin judge hears challenge to homemade bakery ban
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure
- Teen who stabbed classmate was punched by victim
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Hate crime lawsuit settled in northern Iowa
- Milwaukee Bucks settle lawsuit over cheerleader pay