COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say a Council Bluffs man has committed suicide in his county jail cell.
Pottawattamie County Sheriff Jeff Danker says Shawnessey McKnight cut his neck with a razor Wednesday night at the county jail. Danker says McKnight also did pushups before and after in an effort to pump his blood out faster.
The staff had given the 43-year-old McKnight a razor for shaving. Inmates have the razors for 15 minutes before guards collect them.
Another inmate in the cell noticed McKnight's condition and alerted staff. Danker says McKnight fought off staff who tried to treat him, and he had to be handcuffed and shackled before being sent to a nearby hospital where he later died.
McKnight was being held on federal charges of conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine and counterfeiting.
- Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton says he will finish his term despite being diagnosed with prostate cancer
- A woman was arrested in Black Hills after abducting her kids
- Wisconsin manufacturing tax credit continues to grow
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Community Closings & Delays due to approaching storm
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked
- Bipartisan proposal would eliminate publishing minutes
- House committee approves bill that would charge protesters
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups