COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say a Council Bluffs man has committed suicide in his county jail cell.
Pottawattamie County Sheriff Jeff Danker says Shawnessey McKnight cut his neck with a razor Wednesday night at the county jail. Danker says McKnight also did pushups before and after in an effort to pump his blood out faster.
The staff had given the 43-year-old McKnight a razor for shaving. Inmates have the razors for 15 minutes before guards collect them.
Another inmate in the cell noticed McKnight's condition and alerted staff. Danker says McKnight fought off staff who tried to treat him, and he had to be handcuffed and shackled before being sent to a nearby hospital where he later died.
McKnight was being held on federal charges of conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine and counterfeiting.
- Trump, Walker discuss Wisconsin dairy dispute
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- Wisconsin at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- Wisconsin Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Student stabbed at Kenosha high school
- Bridge project in southeast Minnesota on schedule, budget
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Minnesota couple accused of sexually assaulting teenage girl
- Report: Saints, running back Peterson agree on contract