OSKALOOSA, Iowa (AP) - A 27-year-old Oskaloosa man has been given life in prison for killing his mother's boyfriend.
The Oskaloosa Herald says Bradley Arterburn was sentenced on Monday in Mahaska County District Court for the murder of Robert "Hank" Horovitz.
Arterburn was convicted in October of first-degree murder, which carries a mandatory life sentence.
Prosecutors say Arterburn used a battle ax and a knife to kill the 58-year-old Horovitz, of Davenport, on June 19, 2011, at the home Arterburn shared with his mother.
Prosecutors said in opening trial statements that Arterburn said Horovitz reminded him of an abusive stepfather.
Arterburn had asked to be found not guilty by reason of insanity.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners