OSKALOOSA, Iowa (AP) - A 27-year-old Oskaloosa man has been given life in prison for killing his mother's boyfriend.
The Oskaloosa Herald says Bradley Arterburn was sentenced on Monday in Mahaska County District Court for the murder of Robert "Hank" Horovitz.
Arterburn was convicted in October of first-degree murder, which carries a mandatory life sentence.
Prosecutors say Arterburn used a battle ax and a knife to kill the 58-year-old Horovitz, of Davenport, on June 19, 2011, at the home Arterburn shared with his mother.
Prosecutors said in opening trial statements that Arterburn said Horovitz reminded him of an abusive stepfather.
Arterburn had asked to be found not guilty by reason of insanity.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Minnesota city to unleash goats on invasive plants
- Minnesota residents help homeless man
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm