SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) - A 23-year-old Sioux City man has been given 75 years in prison for murder and attempted murder.
James Kroll Jr. had pleaded guilty to the charges last month. Kroll was sentenced on Thursday in Woodbury County District Court.
Authorities say Kroll used a crowbar to beat 54-year-old Jeffrey Moravek to death and seriously injure 54-year-old Mary Tope after breaking into Tope's home in June.
Police say Tope's daughter, Emily, was in the house at the time and identified Kroll, her former boyfriend. Court papers say Kroll was distraught that their relationship had ended. She was not injured.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration