SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) - A 23-year-old Sioux City man has been given 75 years in prison for murder and attempted murder.
James Kroll Jr. had pleaded guilty to the charges last month. Kroll was sentenced on Thursday in Woodbury County District Court.
Authorities say Kroll used a crowbar to beat 54-year-old Jeffrey Moravek to death and seriously injure 54-year-old Mary Tope after breaking into Tope's home in June.
Police say Tope's daughter, Emily, was in the house at the time and identified Kroll, her former boyfriend. Court papers say Kroll was distraught that their relationship had ended. She was not injured.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Minnesota city to unleash goats on invasive plants