WATERLOO, Iowa (AP) -- An Iowa woman who hit a motorcyclist while texting behind the wheel is going to prison for causing and fleeing from the crash.
Jennifer Moeller, of Holland, was sentenced to five years in prison for causing serious injury by vehicle and two years for leaving the scene. She was sentenced Monday in Black Hawk County District Court.
Citations for texting while driving and driving left of center were dropped when Moeller pleaded guilty to the more serious charges in April.
Moeller was accused of hitting Joan Nicolson, of Waterloo, in October. Nicholson lost part of her left leg and suffered other injuries.
Prosecutors say after the crash, Moeller drove 10 miles on a flat tire. The tire was changed and the vehicle was hidden in a farm building.
- Taking one for the city: La Crosse boy cleans up skate park
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Onalaska High School students plan 5K for good cause
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building