WATERLOO, Iowa (AP) -- An Iowa woman who hit a motorcyclist while texting behind the wheel is going to prison for causing and fleeing from the crash.
Jennifer Moeller, of Holland, was sentenced to five years in prison for causing serious injury by vehicle and two years for leaving the scene. She was sentenced Monday in Black Hawk County District Court.
Citations for texting while driving and driving left of center were dropped when Moeller pleaded guilty to the more serious charges in April.
Moeller was accused of hitting Joan Nicolson, of Waterloo, in October. Nicholson lost part of her left leg and suffered other injuries.
Prosecutors say after the crash, Moeller drove 10 miles on a flat tire. The tire was changed and the vehicle was hidden in a farm building.
- Local event helps connect military families
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Area couples prepare for wedding season
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers