DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A 36-year-old Des Moines woman has been charged with theft and with impersonating an officer.
The Des Moines Register reports that Danielle Shaffer was arrested Sunday afternoon.
Officers say Shaffer flashed a badge when she was stopped by Wal-Mart workers outside a store in south Des Moines. A police report says Shaffer had put merchandise into bags she'd taken into the store, and then she bypassed the cash registers on her way out.
Officers say the badge she flashed said Bussey Police. The southern Iowa town of Bussey hasn't had a police force for more than seven years.
Shaffer remained in Polk County Jail on Tuesday, pending $7,000 bail. Online court records don't list the name of her attorney.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership