DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A 36-year-old Des Moines woman has been charged with theft and with impersonating an officer.
The Des Moines Register reports that Danielle Shaffer was arrested Sunday afternoon.
Officers say Shaffer flashed a badge when she was stopped by Wal-Mart workers outside a store in south Des Moines. A police report says Shaffer had put merchandise into bags she'd taken into the store, and then she bypassed the cash registers on her way out.
Officers say the badge she flashed said Bussey Police. The southern Iowa town of Bussey hasn't had a police force for more than seven years.
Shaffer remained in Polk County Jail on Tuesday, pending $7,000 bail. Online court records don't list the name of her attorney.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016