DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A Vietnam veteran has regained a special ring he lost at Lake Delhi 41 years ago.
Des Moines television station KCCI reports that John Jones served in what was South Vietnam during parts of 1968 and 1969. He then had a gold ring made that included his initials and Social Security number, which also served as his Army serial number.
He lost it in 1971 while swimming at Lake Delhi.
When the lake's dam broke in 2010, collectors using metal detectors scoured the lake bottom. One of them, Steve Gola, from Grayslake, Illinois, found Jones' ring.
It took a couple of years to locate Jones, but Gola finally was able to return the ring to him during a Veterans Day event at Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines.
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East