ANKENY, Iowa (AP) - A suburban Des Moines couple were arrested after their teenage children reported being locked in their basement and fed under a locked door.
Forty-five-year-old Paul Drake and 44-year-old JoAnn Drake have been charged with false imprisonment and neglect or abandonment of a dependent person.
One of the children, who were adopted by the Drakes, told a school employee about the situation at the home in Ankeny.
The Iowa Human Services Department has removed the 13-year-old girl and 14-year-old boy from the home.
Police say the children reported being locked in a basement room for three to four weeks as punishment. They were locked in after school and on weekends.
A phone listed for the Drakes is no longer in service. Online court records don't list attorneys for the Drakes.
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Suspect in Vernon Co. standoff in custody
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Giving Motherhood a microphone
- Vikings say goodbye to Adrian Peterson, will see him Week 1 vs Saints
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- La Crosse Recycling Fair begins this Sunday
- ‘Youth & Government Day' offers students insight into local government