FOREST CITY, Iowa (AP) -- A Forest City police officer shot during a scuffle with state agents has been charged with arson and burglary in connection with a fire at the police department earlier this month.
Office Thaddeus Ellenbecker was off-duty when he shot Thursday night. The shooting occurred as two agents with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation went to his house to speak with him. They found him outside with a weapon. A struggle ensued and Ellenbecker was shot by one of the agents. He remained hospitalized Friday with non-life threatening injuries.
He is accused of placing incendiary materials in the Forest City Police Department Oct. 1, and of stealing a rifle belonging to the department.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says