DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Iowa officials are reminding residents to be careful about using propane when generating heat or running appliances during the winter.
The state Department of Public Safety says people should have a qualified technician inspect their propane system. Officials also warn people to avoid using a stove for space heating, and suggest not using outdoor propane appliances inside.
Officials say this is especially critical during a power outage because of possible carbon monoxide poisoning.
Officials also recommend people take immediate action if they suspect a gas leak. That includes avoiding any flames or sparks, turning off the main supply valve on a propane tank, and leaving the area immediately.
- Taking one for the city: La Crosse boy cleans up skate park
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Onalaska High School students plan 5K for good cause
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building