IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - Police in eastern Iowa say a man stole a vehicle and drove hundreds of miles south because he wanted to escape the cold weather.
The Iowa City Press-Citizen reports Harold Schneider was arrested Saturday. He faces one count of first-degree theft.
The Johnson County Sheriff's Office says Schneider stole a jeep on New Year's Eve from a residence in Iowa City. He was caught days later about 600 miles south in Mississippi.
Schneider told police he stole the jeep because he was tired of the cold and snow and wanted to go south where it was warm.
Schneider remains at the Johnson County Jail on a $50,000 cash-only bond.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers