IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - Police in eastern Iowa say a man stole a vehicle and drove hundreds of miles south because he wanted to escape the cold weather.
The Iowa City Press-Citizen reports Harold Schneider was arrested Saturday. He faces one count of first-degree theft.
The Johnson County Sheriff's Office says Schneider stole a jeep on New Year's Eve from a residence in Iowa City. He was caught days later about 600 miles south in Mississippi.
Schneider told police he stole the jeep because he was tired of the cold and snow and wanted to go south where it was warm.
Schneider remains at the Johnson County Jail on a $50,000 cash-only bond.
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted