OSKALOOSA, Iowa (AP) - An Oskaloosa man has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a 7-week-old girl.
The Oskaloosa Police Department on Tuesday arrested 24-year-old Bryan Vilcone in connection with the death of Raelynn Hart.
The child was taken to a local hospital Thursday and died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines.
The Polk County Medical Examiner's Office says an autopsy shows Raelynn likely died of abusive head trauma. Final autopsy results are pending.
Raelynn's mother told authorities her daughter had been under the care of Vilcone, a family friend. An affidavit says Vilcone told authorities he shook the child because she was crying.
Vilcone is being held at the Mahaska County Jail. Jail officials say he is scheduled in court Wednesday. It's unclear if Vilcone has an attorney.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016