OSKALOOSA, Iowa (AP) - An Oskaloosa man has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a 7-week-old girl.
The Oskaloosa Police Department on Tuesday arrested 24-year-old Bryan Vilcone in connection with the death of Raelynn Hart.
The child was taken to a local hospital Thursday and died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines.
The Polk County Medical Examiner's Office says an autopsy shows Raelynn likely died of abusive head trauma. Final autopsy results are pending.
Raelynn's mother told authorities her daughter had been under the care of Vilcone, a family friend. An affidavit says Vilcone told authorities he shook the child because she was crying.
Vilcone is being held at the Mahaska County Jail. Jail officials say he is scheduled in court Wednesday. It's unclear if Vilcone has an attorney.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse