OELWEIN, Iowa (AP) -- A northeast Iowa man has been charged for not disposing of dead goats found on his farm near Oelwein.
The Fayette County sheriff's office filed charges on Wednesday against 33-year-old Tracy Rupright.
He faces five simple misdemeanor counts of duty to dispose of dead bodies after a complaint about dead animals and a horrible smell. An investigation showed there were several dead goats and they had been there for some time.
Under Iowa law, a carcass has to be disposed of within 24 hours.
Officials say no animal neglect is suspected because it appears the goats died of natural causes.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners