CLEAR LAKE, Iowa (AP) - A 1999 Jeep Cherokee is being removed from a lake in northern Iowa.
The state Department of Natural Resources says David Hand of Mason City was driving the vehicle Wednesday afternoon on ice over Clear Lake. Hand was aiming to ice fish when the vehicle broke through the ice and submerged into 10 feet of water. The 20-year-old Hand was uninjured.
A recovery firm from Spirit Lake will remove the vehicle.
The DNR says people need to remember about the inconsistency of ice. The agency says it doesn't recommend that vehicles travel across frozen bodies of water because several factors can affect ice thickness.
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Competency hearing sought for Iowan accused of voting twice
- Fiberglass fire causes neighborhood evacuation
- Republican lawmakers differ on state superintendent race