CLEAR LAKE, Iowa (AP) - A 1999 Jeep Cherokee is being removed from a lake in northern Iowa.
The state Department of Natural Resources says David Hand of Mason City was driving the vehicle Wednesday afternoon on ice over Clear Lake. Hand was aiming to ice fish when the vehicle broke through the ice and submerged into 10 feet of water. The 20-year-old Hand was uninjured.
A recovery firm from Spirit Lake will remove the vehicle.
The DNR says people need to remember about the inconsistency of ice. The agency says it doesn't recommend that vehicles travel across frozen bodies of water because several factors can affect ice thickness.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks