CLEAR LAKE, Iowa (AP) - Safety concerns about ice at the downtown Seawall in Clear Lake have forced cancellation of the Color the Wind Kite Festival.
Festival founder Larry Day says the ice conditions are "just not safe, and it's going to get worse" before Saturday's scheduled event.
The first Color the Wind festival was held at Clear Lake State Park in February 2002, and the 2009 festival was held at McIntosh Woods State Park. Day says he and his wife, Kay, decided not to move the event again and that it needs to be downtown in front of the Seawall.
Day says he hopes to hold the event next year.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest